Members of the compassionate healthcare team are comprised of licensed nurses and Certified Nursing Assistants (known as Resident Care Technicians (RCT’s) at MCC). Nursing and RCT’s provide skilled care and services in many areas including:
- Dietary consultation
- Pain management
- IV therapy
- Airway clearance therapy
- Oxygen therapy
- Pulse oximetry
- Noninvasive ventilation: CPAP, BiPAP
- Upper airway suctioning
- Nebulizer therapy
- Wound care
- Mobile Lab work
- EKG Xray ultrasound
- On-site podiatry and women’s healthcare visits
- Transportation to off campus specialist appointments
Our goal at The Mary Campbell Center is to provide programs, therapies and services which promote independence and growth. Members of the Interdisciplinary Team take a collaborative approach when developing plans that support the social, emotional and physical growth of each resident.
The Physical Therapy department is involved in many aspects of life at The Mary Campbell Center. We develop programs to enhance the resident’s flexibility, transfers, standing balance, walking, and wheelchair driving skills.
- Completes wheelchair evaluations and training
- Assist residents with mobility and stretching exercises
- Gait and balance training
- Provide instruction on the use of various therapy equipment (braces and ambulation devices) to enhance a resident’s safety and independence
- Find safe transfer and repositioning equipment
- Problem solves and takes a proactive approach to find ways to prevent skin breakdown
- Involved with training in-services for employees to maintain safe and healthy work habits relating to resident transfers
- Coordinates programs with the restorative nursing program that are tailored to meet the needs of each resident (walking and ambulation programs, range of motion, etc.)
The Occupational Therapists at The Mary Campbell Center assist residents to be as independent as possible throughout the MCC environment and in the community. Therapy is provided to maximize residents’ skills with activities including:
- Self-care ADL’s (Activities of Daily Living) (self-feeding, dressing, hygiene, and grooming activities)
- Independent living ADL’s (laundry, bed-making, cooking, etc.)
- Development of specialized adapted equipment to enhance their independence with ADLs
- Work with residents to maximize independence with environmental controls (learn to use their call bells, room lights, telephones, televisions, computers, remote-control elevator system, etc.)
- Range of motion programs for strengthening
- Develop programs to enhance fine motor skills and sensory stimulation
- Adapted leisure activities (arts and crafts, cooking, etc.)
Our team of Massage Therapists provide individualized in-house massage therapy to residents who need therapeutic support. Therapists use various therapeutic techniques such as Healing Touch and Reiki to help support each person’s physical, emotional, mental and spiritual self-healing and well-being. Our individualized therapeutic programs promote healing for the whole person: mind, body and spirit.
Our Speech Therapists provide comprehensive speech-language services to those who live at MCC. Speech Therapy works with all members of the team to develop effective strategies that better enable each resident to communicate their thoughts and needs.
- Traditional speech therapy to improve their speech intelligibility and expressive/receptive language skills
- Techniques to make their speech better understood
- Strategies to help with organization of thoughts or to help them think of the words they want to say
- Augmentative and alternative communication devices
- Assistive technology options for computer access, environmental control, etc.
- Work with the team to develop and implement meal guidelines to ensure safety and enjoyment at meals
- Identify and monitor swallowing impairments
- Provide training to residents, staff and loved ones who wish to learn effective and safe techniques for communication and feeding
Additional Services include maintenance of devices, device programming, assessment for appropriate devices, securing funding, and more.
Aquatics and Physical Development
with the push of a button. This initial design allowed for easy access into the water for those residents in wheelchairs who would be unable to enter using the stairs. The moveable pool floor is adjustable from depths as low as a few inches, all the way to four feet – the ideal working depth for aquatic activities. The experienced Aquatics Staff assists the residents with individualized programs utilizing water weights, flotation devices, and games.
The Aquatics Center is also equipped with a hot tub/spa used for muscular relaxation. Access to both the hot tub and pool is facilitated with ceiling mounted lift systems.
Residents also participate in Physical Development programs. Specialized weight lifting machines and equipment designed for strength and aerobic training provide the residents at MCC with all-around unique exercise opportunities.
The Nursing Restorative Program is conducted by RCT’s with oversight from Nursing, Physical and Occupational Therapy, to sustain or improve a resident’s physical functioning. Objectives include performing joint range of motion for upper and lower extremities and standing exercise including walking for ambulation tolerance and endurance for those who are weight-bearing. This strengthening program is a key component of health and wellness for those residents who can participate.
The Activities Department at The Mary Campbell Center believes there are no limits to ability!
Enriching programs are provided daily at The Mary Campbell Center! Programs encompass a variety of activities including music, current events, fun and games, and special interests to meet the social, emotional, physical and spiritual needs of the individuals who live here. We partner with community groups and volunteers who provide creative energy and support which enriches the lives of all.
Activities include book/sports/poetry groups, music and performance, trips, holidays and special events, arts and crafts, visiting pets, office skills, and exercise. We also schedule outside entertainers to come to The Center and showcase their skills – from musical performers to dance troupes. Trips are planned regularly to cultural events, sporting events, amusement parks, movies, mall shopping, bowling, picnics at local parks, and beach trips.
Lifelong learning is an essential piece of the active treatment approach that is an important aspect of The Mary Campbell Center, and abilities are discovered every day in the Learning Center.
As stated in the MCC vision statement, the Mary Campbell Center strives to be a “collaborative community that seeks and applies innovation to enhance the well-being and independence of those who choose our care.” The Education Department provides individualized and collaborative learning opportunities to facilitate independence, social interactions, cognitive growth, and communication skills.
Assistive Technology and adaptive equipment are utilized at various levels to enhance individual growth and achievement.